A message from our Executive Director
Dear Camp Happy Days Community,
Thank you so much for your truly inspiring support and generosity. Your donations have helped more children and families than ever before. We have expanded our programs to offer resources and financial assistance to more families than we have in the past which helps them to focus more on their child battling cancer and their families. This has made a tremendous difference.
Because of your support, we were able to offer Family Weekend again after a three year absence. This took place over the weekend of April 1 – 3, 2016 at the Bonclarken Conference Center in Flatrock, NC and 161 people attended. This retreat gave families a chance to bond, enjoy time and fun together and learn about important ways to keep themselves strong, connected, and healthy. Topics about how to find resources for their child and family and how to navigate the hospital system were also covered and this is always needed!
Last year at Camp we had 261 campers. The theme was “High Five for 25” years at Camp Bob Cooper and was a wonderful week for everyone. This year at camp we are expecting 275 campers and 250 volunteers! The date is July 2 through July 8 and it will be full of mind blowing fun and activities! The Camp Planning Committee has been working diligently on plans to make this camp really special.
As many of you know, Elizabeth Clark left us in the fall to pursue a job in early childhood education. We hired Julia Passos as our Development and Special Events Manager. She did a great job with the Heroes of Hope Gala better known as the Cabooty Party and our most recent event, the 1st Annual Corks for Kids.
We have also been extremely fortunate to bring on Ashley Regan as the new Programs Director. Ashley will be leading programs and will be the Family Weekend and Camp Director. Amanda Venable will continue to help with programs as she transitions to Grants Writer.
Congratulations to Teresa Bishop Gilroy on her recent marriage to Joe. She continued working until the end of March in order to help us hire and train her replacement Meghan Gottung Carrington. We are so grateful for the 10 years that Teresa has given to CHD. She has been so supportive to our children and families through good times and tough times. We wish her the very best in her future plans.
As you can see it has been a year of changes, opportunities and growth and we could not do this without each of you – giving generously through donations and your time!
Here is how your support made a difference:
• We helped 687 families who are dealing with a child with cancer and 1622 individuals.
• Over 245 volunteers gave over 43,200 hours of their time to help run Camp 2016 “High Five for 25!” 261 children with cancer and their siblings benefited from seven fun filled days at Camp Bob Cooper in Summerton, SC.
• We held Doodlebug events and activities for 61 families.
• We served 186 families at MUSC’s FACT Clinic
• 74 pre-teens and teens attended Adela’s Extreme Teen Water Weekend and Pre-Teen Program with lock ins and weekend events.
• 122 families and volunteers attended Family Reunion to bond and share their experiences while enjoying a wonderful time at Charlestown Landing with food cooked by Jamie Westendorff.
• 120 children were served through our Check Up Program.
• We served 84 families at our Family Events throughout the year including sporting events, family days and the Aquarium.
As we look toward the future, with your help and support we know that we will be able to provide the hope and endless possibilities that our children and families need as they face another year of uncertainty in their battle against cancer.
Thank you so very much. We truly appreciate all you do.
Cindy Hay Johnson